Kinney has pride in the people Marlboro County and his family owned and operated newspaper.
This video has been edited for length. If you’d like to listen to the full raw audio from our interview with William Kinney, contact SCPA.
Born: October 26, 1933
Died: February 19, 2023
Newspaper History: 1972 to present, Marlboro Herald-Advocate
Honors and Awards:
- President of the Marlboro Historical Society
- Chairman of the Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission
- Founding member of the Marlboro County Development Board
- Vice-chairman of the Bennettesville Downtown Development Association
- 1972-73 President of the South Carolina Press Association
- 1992-94 President of the S.C. Press Association Foundation
- Harris Award for Editorial Writing, 1966
- University of South Carolina College of Journalism’s Diamond Circle Award
- BS from Wofford College
- BA from the University of South Carolina
Military Service: U.S. Army
Family: Daughter, Elisabeth Kinney McNiel
SCPA's oral history project is dedicated to preserving the heritage of our state's journalists and newspapers.
This program is funded by the South Carolina Humanities Council, whose mission is to enrich the cultural and intellectual lives of all South Carolinians. This program is co-sponsored by the University of South Carolina’s School of Journalism and Mass Communications.