Newspaperman, Educator, Author
Vero Beach, FL
Veteran journalist, retired USC professor gives industry perspective.
This video has been edited for length. If you’d like to listen to the full raw audio from our interview with Henry Schulte, contact SCPA.
Born: Sept. 8, 1925
Died: Jan. 29, 2019
- Miami Daily News
- Winter Haven Daily
- State editor, Louisville Times
- Reporter, St. Petersburg Times
- Copydesk, St. Petersburg Times
- St. Petersburg Times, night city editor
- St. Petersburg Times, day city editor
- Nashville Tennessean, Sunday editor
- Savannah Morning News and Evening Press, managing editor
- Chicago Daily News, Sunday editor
- Ohio State University, Kiplinger program
- S.C. Press Association, consultant
- University of South Carolina School of Journalism and Mass Communications, associate professor
Honors and Awards:
- Second place in Florida Newspaper contest on Deadline Reporting, St. Petersburg Times
- First place in General Excellence from the National Newspaper Association, Savannah Morning News (For three years)
Education: BA in Journalism, University of Miami
Military Service: US Navy
SCPA's oral history project is dedicated to preserving the heritage of our state's journalists and newspapers.
This program is funded by the South Carolina Humanities Council, whose mission is to enrich the cultural and intellectual lives of all South Carolinians. This program is co-sponsored by the University of South Carolina’s School of Journalism and Mass Communications.