The Post and Courier
The first woman editor of a daily newspaper in South Carolina
Williams recalls being the only woman in the news room and what it was like reporting on government.
This video has been edited for length. If you’d like to listen to the full raw audio from our interview with Barbara Williams, contact SCPA.
- The News and Courier
- Camden (N.J.) Courier Post
- The Evening Post
- The Post and Courier
Honors and Awards:
- President of the National Conference of Editorial Writers
- Byliner Award from the Central Chapter Sigma Delta Chi
- South Carolina Newspaper Woman of the Year
- South Carolina Hospital Association Press Award
- University of Tennessee, BS in Journalism
- Attended UT College of Law
- Honorary Doctor of Journalism from The Citadel
Family: Married for 49 years to the late Charleston artist, Manning Williams
SCPA's oral history project is dedicated to preserving the heritage of our state's journalists and newspapers.
This program is funded by the South Carolina Humanities Council, whose mission is to enrich the cultural and intellectual lives of all South Carolinians. This program is co-sponsored by the University of South Carolina’s School of Journalism and Mass Communications.