S.C. Senate begins redistricting public hearings
Posted July 23, 2021
Columbia, S.C.-The Senate Judiciary Committee’s Redistricting Subcommittee has scheduled 10 hearings throughout the State to receive public testimony about interests to be considered in redrawing district lines. These hearings will not be to propose plans. That opportunity will be available at a later time.
You may attend the public hearings and speak either online or in person. To help the subcommittee prepare for the public hearings, you may sign up to speak on the website at https://redistricting.scsenate.gov. Please send an online request to speak by 12:00 pm (noon) the day before the scheduled public hearing at which you wish to speak. If you attend a hearing in person, a form will be available to sign up to speak at that location. A single request, either online or in person, is all that is needed to speak at a public hearing.
Please note that the information you provide the subcommittee will become part of the public record.
Maps will be available online and at the hearings to help speakers identify specific areas they wish to discuss.
If you are not able to attend a public hearing, you may still submit information to the subcommittee by mail at P.O. Box 142, Columbia, S.C. 29202 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All public hearings will be held from 6:30-8:30 pm. Here is the schedule:
- July 27, Columbia Public Hearing, Gressette Building on State House grounds
- July 28, Sumter Public Hearing, Central Carolina Technical College
- July 29, Rock Hill Public Hearing, York Technical College
- August 2, Greenville Public Hearing, Greenville County Council Chambers
- August 3, Florence Public Hearing, Florence-Darlington Technical College
- August 4, Beaufort Public Hearing, Technical College of the LowCountry
- August 9, Orangeburg Public Hearing, Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College
- August 10, Charleston Public Hearing, Trident Technical College
- August 11, Conway Public Hearing, Horry-Georgetown Technical College
- August 12, Aiken Public Hearing, Aiken Technical College
This content is being shared through the S.C. News Exchange and is for use in SCPA member publications. Please use appropriate bylines and credit lines.