The position requires an innovative and strategically oriented leader willing to be hands-on and work with a small team to produce a quality news and advertising voice in the marketplace. The position requires someone with multi-media experience capable of sharing the news and advertising across multiple platforms successfully. Responsible for revenue and expense management that meets the gross operating profit margins set by the company. Also responsible for sustaining an editorial voice that engages the community with a lively mix of news and commentary over multiple platforms, such as print, websites and social media.
This individual is a key member of our management team, participating in strategic planning and decision making. This position requires clear communication to work collaboratively with the staff. Includes the oversight of all advertising and editorial processes and is required to attend various events and be involved in the community.
- Meet the financial objectives of the corporation, including management of revenue, expenses and operating profits.
- Increase audience reach through traditional media and the expansion of new communication channels designed to draw in non-traditional consumers.
- Establish a news and editorial voice that positions the company as the primary information source for the community we serve. Develop the brand so that it is seen as a leader in local news and public service.
- Overall responsibility for budgets, forecasts, and capital in planning.
- Provide leadership to the management team and ensure that it is effectively communicating and implementing all aspects of strategic and operational plans.
- Create an advertising marketing strategy that increases advertising revenue, enhances the value of new digital media products, and establishes the company as the authoritative source of advertising concepts and products.
- Provide marketing expertise that sustains long term relationships with advertisers.
- Evaluate and prioritize the development of new products, including coordinating interdepartmental efforts to bring products to market.
- Give employees a vision of where the company is going and infuse them with a sense of mission and purpose as they follow this new direction.
- Candidate must be aware of breaking news in our area.
- Assign events, meetings, and stories to reporters.
- Edit copy, and page layout.
- Copy assignments and layout for special editions print.
- Very organized and able to meet deadline with paper going to press timely.
- Copy edit, fact check, and proofread marketing materials (web, e-mails, ads, brochures, presentations, press releases, etc.) and internal communications
- Oversee editorial quality assurance, assuming primary ownership of meeting deadlines.
- Support editorial quality assurance for social media content.
- Manage news by checking the quality of their work, monitoring progress on projects, and providing feedback when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Management.
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement in a multimedia company. Candidates must have a track record of building revenue in prior positions.
- A successful candidate will have a record of performing in a senior management position for a minimum of 10 years.
- A college degree in marketing, journalism or business is preferred.
- Experience managing multiple projects on deadline.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Well organized, pro-active, community minded, and focused on quality as well as efficiency.
- Must possess good writing and communication skills, the ability to learn quickly, be dependable and able to perform well under a deadline.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the area is helpful.
- Must be able to establish relationships with local leaders and possess strong leadership skills.
- Ability to multi-task, proofread, and inspire co-workers is a plus.
- Local community knowledge/involvement necessary.
- Must be proficient in relevant technology.
- Must possess strong skills in organization, communication, writing, editing and photography’
- Must be passionate about local news.
- Must be able to lead, motivate, and mentor the editorial and advertising staffs.
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Superb problem-solving, time-management, and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Physical Requirements: Close eye work, continuous sitting, constant walking, standing, light to moderate lifting 15-30 pounds (per safety policy).
Francis Marion University and the Department of Mass Communication invite applications for a tenure track assistant professor to teach a variety of courses including broadcast reporting and field production, video editing, broadcast studio production, and media law.
Master’s in journalism required; PhD preferred. Newsroom experience, experience teaching broadcast journalism and multimedia courses is a plus.
Start Date: August 2020
- Letter of Interest (Referencing Position Number 20-33);
- Copies of all transcripts (official transcripts will be required of the successful candidate).
- Curriculum vitae;
- The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three references; and
- FM Faculty Application.
To obtain the FMU Faculty application; please click here.
Send Application Packet to: Dr. Charlene Wages, Vice President for Administration and Planning, Francis Marion University, PO Box 100547, Florence, SC 29502-0547.
Screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position has been filled.
Minorities and Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution
The Anderson Independent-Mail/independentmail.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK is seeking an reporter to cover the community of Anderson in a way that engages readers with human-focused stories and holds local leadership accountable through public records and accountability reporting.
The ideal candidate is an independent worker who excels at building a beat from the ground up. We need a reporter who can continue the hard work of engaging the people in this small, close knit city in the Upstate of South Carolina.
In covering city government, the ideal candidate also will be adept at filing Freedom of Information requests and asking hard-edged questions to get beneath the surface of local government and institutions. This reporter needs to love being out of the office, interacting with stakeholders and residents and digging up interesting stories that engage our local readers.
There is a lot going on in Anderson: It is in the shadow of Greenville, South Carolina, one of the hottest places to live in the South; it is a short drive from Clemson University; it is striving to maintain its identity between those two entities. It’s also struggling with some big city problems and has plenty of constituencies to whom the Independent Mail is striving to give a voice.
The Independent Mail works closely with The Greenville News, and this reporter should be comfortable in both newsrooms and writing for both publications – although the bulk of the reporting will be done for Anderson.
Anderson is 35 minutes from Greenville and 30 minutes from Clemson. It’s at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and a short drive from both Atlanta, Charlotte and the beautiful beaches of South Carolina’s coast.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some previous reporting experience writing in a digital-first newsroom preferred; even better if you’ve covered a city beat.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- An understanding of digital analytics and metrics and how they impact the ways we tell and write stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here’s what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Work with design team in the design and production of high-quality newspaper, magazine, and multi-media projects. Balance design considerations with deadlines and technological limitations, maintain working knowledge of various software including, but not limited to, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, perform other related work as required working under general supervision.
- Prepares work to be accomplished by gathering information and materials
Plans concept by studying information and materials
Develop graphics and visual images for products, illustrations, and logos
Illustrates concept by designing rough layout of art and copy regarding arrangement, size, type size and style, and related aesthetic concepts
Infuse creativity into the presentation of information while fulfilling our journalistic goals of telling compelling stories
Identify opportunities for enhanced visual elements
Obtains approval of concept by submitting rough layout for approval
Prepares final layout and incorporate any recommended changes
Completes projects by coordinating with outside agencies, art services, printers, etc.
Review designs for errors before printing or publishing them
Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
Perform other duties as assigned by management
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Degree in graphic design or two years’ experience in design and development for print product
Superior design skills and an excellent understanding in the best practices of print development
Must understand how to design to maximize efficiency without compromising aesthetics
Must be willing to work evenings, weekends and some holidays
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent design style, visualization, attention to detail, and judgement
Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment; highly organized
Proficiency with Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator on Macintosh platform with the aptitude and desire to learn other software programs as needed
Exceptional amount of willingness, resourcefulness, determination, and persistence in following through on job responsibilities
Ability to take direction and develop concepts established by other team members
Excellent public relations and communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment by establishing and maintaining effective working relations—tactful, helpful, cooperative, and flexible
Ability to thrive in a deadline and client-services driven environment
Regularly required to sit for long periods of time; close eye work on computer screen; required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, bend and stoop; light to moderate lifting 15-30 pounds.
The worker is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
Must be able to work in a noisy environment that has multiple employees, a police scanner, and doors to the production area.
The Post and Courier is looking for an environmental reporter to join our team at a critical time for the coast of South Carolina.
Charleston is a conservation-minded community. We are looking for a reporter with the curiosity to continually deepen their knowledge of the Lowcountry and understanding of the intersection between culture and ecology that makes this place what it is.
In this beat, you’ll write about sea turtles, dolphins and whales – and how climate change and our fast growing population are putting pressure on all of them. You’ll cover shrimpers and scientists. You’ll track hurricanes – both with the big picture eye of an enterprise reporter and as breaking news when one is bearing down on us.
We aren’t a “feed the beast” newsroom or one that focuses on page views. We believe in contextualized, in-depth reporting and the power of a well-written story.
There are opportunities in this Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom to do some of the best work of your career, limited only by your ambition and curiosity. The Post and Courier is a family owned newspaper, investing in its newsroom.
Charleston offers an incredible quality of life, named No. 1 city in the nation and No. 2 in the world by readers of Travel + Leisure magazine. Enjoy a thriving food and arts scene, surrounded by history and a natural environment that offers boundless outdoor recreation opportunities.
Send your resume, five examples of your best work and a cover letter with ideas on how you would cover this beat to Managing Editor Autumn Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Post and Courier is committed to building a diverse newsroom that reflects the people it covers and the audience it serves. Candidates are encouraged to highlight new perspectives they can bring to our team.
More about The Post and Courier here: https://vimeo.com/311322268
A growing – and always innovating – community weekly in South Carolina has an immediate opening for a CLIENT MARKETING ASSOCIATE to develop and implement multi-platform marketing strategies for our clients in Batesburg-Leesville and surrounding environs.
This position will work closely with a veteran but boundary-stretching Editorial and Creative team to:
- Create marketing campaigns and products to fully serve the brand-development needs of our clients across multiple platforms, including traditional print, digital video, digital radio, event marketing, special publications and magazines.
- Develop revenue-generating strategies across all platforms.
Necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- A mindset of teamwork: when one succeeds, we all succeed.
- Creativity and vision, the ability to think and create outside the box.
- Some experience preferred in print, broadcasting and/or digital advertising sales and sales management.
- The drive to create your own success and earning potential in a small but growing market.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in business, marketing, advertising, or other relevant area.
- At least one year’s experience in newspaper, radio or digital advertising sales.
- Some command of Adobe Creative Cloud and/or related software solutions.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
Please send resume and three examples of your creative efforts (ad design, digital production, etc.) to email@example.com.
The Gaffney Ledger is accepting applications for a reporter to cover our crime and courts beat.
We are a tri-weekly newspaper located in Upstate South Carolina with a proven track record of success.
This is a rare opportunity to secure a job that entails writing stories about breaking events and day-to-day reports involving the county sheriff’s department, two municipal police agencies, and the state Highway Patrol. The person chosen for this position will also be required to write occasional feature stories, cover high-profile court cases, fires, traffic accidents, severe weather occurrences and other items of a newsworthy nature that involve law enforcement, judicial, or rescue personnel.
Members of our staff daily contribute to our Facebook page and regularly post stories to our popular website.
The job requires someone who is a stickler for detail and who is not shy about using a camera or video recorder.
Some occasional weekend work is required, including being on-call during one Saturday each month and being in the newsroom to assist the editor for a few hours every third Sunday.
Experience would be ideal, but we would be willing to train someone who shows an aptitude for this particular kind of news coverage. You would need to learn fast, though, because there’s a lot happening on this exciting and challenging beat.
The successful applicant will have an outgoing personality and be able to work well under deadlines.
Members of our newsroom staff are required to live in Cherokee County, a thriving community located just off the rapidly growing Interstate 85 corridor about halfway between Charlotte, N.C., and Greenville, S.C. The area offers a number of scenic and historic attractions, including two national parks; as well as plenty of shopping, entertainment, and recreational activities.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are seeking a journalist with a demonstrated commitment to fairness and accuracy, in fact and in tone, and a strong grounding in journalism ethics. All journalists at The State must demonstrate the desire and skills to build audience loyalty, engagement and growth around compelling public service journalism.
At The State the reader comes first, last and always. Serving readers in a crowded media marketplace means becoming the best and most relevant source of journalism that matters to them — and ensuring that our work reaches them, wherever they are. This will require a keen understanding of what’s important to local readers, developed through reporting on and familiarity with the region; through the extensive use of reader analytics such as social media referrals and time spent on a story; and through a constant awareness of what people are sharing and talking about on social media.
It will require not just the ability to build sources and ferret out facts, but also a talent for framing, writing, shooting, producing and promoting a story via search and social media to ensure that it reaches and resonates with our readers. It will require a demonstrated commitment to change — to constantly adapting to the ever-evolving ways in which readers seek out and interact with journalism. And it will require enthusiastic participation in ongoing conversations about what’s working and what’s not — and an equally enthusiastic commitment to adapting accordingly.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Demonstrated ability to use social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to reach audiences
- Fluency in the science of readership and engagement, including an understanding of how to use analytics such as page views, time on site, referral sources and “shares and likes” to help determine which stories resonate with which audiences
- A demonstrated ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms, including video
- A demonstrated ability to learn new skills and technologies, including content management systems; social media platforms; video editing software; Omniture, CrowdTangle and other analytics tools; and any emerging storytelling tools and platforms
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism. The new workflows require constant conversations between reporters and editors and between reporters and their audience as a story evolves.
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving
- Two years’ professional experience at a daily news outlet preferred.
- Journalism degree preferred.
Columbia – South Carolina state capital – is in the center of the state, with a two-hour drive from either the Atlantic coast or the Blue Ridge Mountains, and about halfway between New York City and Miami, with easy access to interstate highways. Not just the center of the state government, Columbia also is home to the main campus of the University of South Carolina and Fort Jackson, the country’s largest U.S. Army training base.
The State is a part of McClatchy, a flexible, empowering and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life/balance and consistent opportunities for growth.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of post-offer drug and background screenings. We offer a competitive salary, along with a varied benefits package, including Medical, Dental, Vision coverage, Accident, Critical Care and Pet insurance as well as Life Insurance, 401(k) Savings Plan, vacation, sick leave and company holidays.
We’re Community Journals, the company behind the Greenville Journal, Upstate Business Journal, TOWN, and atHome magazine. Our team is committed to telling great stories and deepening our connection with the community we serve. We are locally owned and passionate about informing, connecting, and inspiring the people of Greenville, SC. We are currently adding to our Greenville Journal and Upstate Business Journal editorial team.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Produce steady stream of content for our print, website and social media platforms
- Stories could be “quick hits” that come from press releases or news tips, regular news pieces, profiles on businesses and people in the community or in-depth stories on topics that matter to Greenville and the Upstate.
- Other content will come from you being out in the community at downtown events, council meetings, business mixers, etc.
Be a multimedia storyteller
- Writing is your foundation, but the ability to shoot video and photography and to produce graphics is key.
- All content should be heavily-supported with photographs, video, graphics and other visual assets.
- Think outside the box. There are different ways to tell a story. Unique, visually-driven approaches often work best. We value creativity.
Be a self-starter
- Some content will be assigned, but the majority of it will be pitched, coordinated and executed by you.
- As a small team, we rely heavily on collaboration, but it’s critical that you are self-motivated and grasp what makes the most engaging story/content.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, writing or a related field. Equivalent experience will also be considered.
- A passion and talent for storytelling, a strong narrative sensibility, the creativity to come up with novel new approaches, and the judgement to recognize when less is more.
- A good understanding of the community, business and broad knowledge of different industries and subjects.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- Knowledge of Associated Press style and media ethics.
- Ability to understand and connect with key audiences across print and digital platforms.
- Ability to shoot and edit photos and video a plus as is the ability to create simple infographics.
- Familiarity with Google Trends and indicators of social media trends on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. Familiarity with Google and social analytics products a plus.
- Excellent written communication ability.
- Ability to spot topics with high audience interest for local and regional market.
- Understanding of mobile-first and audience-first culture, including awareness of how today’s audiences rely on smartphones.
Email resume to email@example.com
Seeking talented, driven reporters
The Greenwood (S.C.) Index-Journal, a small, family-owned daily newspaper, wants to grow its base of talented, energetic and aggressive staff writers to join its award-winning team. While the big chains are trimming, we recognize that readers want and need excellent reporting, that they depend on their daily newspaper to be the mirror of and watchdog for their community.
This year alone, the 100-year-old Index-Journal received 40 press awards, including 13 first-place finishes, while sweeping several categories and again earning the President’s Award for Excellence among papers that circulate fewer than 12,000 editions.
This is the eighth consecutive year the newspaper has earned more than 25 awards and the fourth time this decade it has brought home the president’s cup.
We’re not a major metro, but we do have a hard-working staff that has surpassed the typical parameters of a small daily. And being a family-owned newspaper means we don’t have the layers of corporate executives to wade through. It means we don’t have to slash newsroom personnel to satisfy a bottom line.
We want reporters who are as capable of generating excellent human interest features as they are at generating solid investigative and in-depth pieces. Candidates should be able to dig into local reporting on all levels and should not be afraid to ask the tough questions. That’s the kind of reporting that garners awards from your peers and accolades from the readers you serve.
Maybe you just came off a successful awards year yourself on a strong weekly paper. Perhaps you’re about to graduate from J-school and are eager to start collecting your own stacks of plaques.
If that’s you, send your resume, a cover letter and 5-10 clips reflective of your work via regular mail or email to:
Richard S. Whiting
P.O. Box 1018
Greenwood, SC 29648
No phone calls, please.
A small daily newspaper in South Carolina is hiring a full-time Advertising Director to accelerate local multi-media advertising growth while providing direction and support to our advertising sales team.
This position will work closely with the team TO ENSURE:
- strategies are developed to fully service the needs of customers while meeting company goals across all platforms, including traditional print, digital, events, contests, special publications, commercial print, print and deliver, and magazines.
- new revenue-generating strategies across all platforms are identified and carried out.
- sales training across platforms is accomplished.
- appropriate sales goals are set and attained.
Necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Proven success and experience in advertising sales and sales management
- Digital acumen and an eagerness to maintain current knowledge of digital marketing trends
- Able to meet revenue goals of the organization through quality planning and execution with the sales team
- Proven revenue retention and consultative selling skills
- Able to motivate sales team members and help team members identify and overcome obstacles to meeting goals by regularly reviewing and refining sales tactics and strategies
- Able to adjust commission structures to motivate sales team members while meeting organizational goals
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in business, marketing, advertising, or other relevant area
- 5+ years experience in newspaper advertising sales with experience in management of sales and ad production staff, including experience preparing and managing annual revenue and expense budgets, building commission plans, new product/initiative development/training, and setting team member goals
- Knowledge of HR and supervisory rules and policies
- Excellent communication, presentation, and time management skills
- Must be able to analyze and interpret marketing data and trends
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and references to the publisher at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Post a job
As a service to its member newspapers, the S.C. Press Association lists employment opportunities on our site upon request. There is no charge for this service to SCPA member newspapers. The non-member fee to post job listings is $35 per ad – with ads being listed for a period of 30 days. Email job listings to Jen Madden.