Upcoming Workshops & Events
June 20, 2019 | 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Ad Sales Basics Workshop
SCPA Offices, Columbia
Join us at SCPA Offices in Columbia on Thursday, June 20, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m., as we cover the basics of advertising sales and get your revenue-producing staff off to a great start!
Ad Basics, SCPA’s popular quarterly sales training workshop, is designed for newspaper ad sales employees with less than a year’s experience.
Alanna Ritchie, Ad Director for the S.C. Newspaper Network, will conduct this full-day workshop. A veteran of weekly and daily newspaper sales, Alanna will help attendees understand sales basics, including selling against competition, dealing with objections, closing skills, basic design and consultative selling.
Here’s what past attendees have said about Ad Basics:
• Very beneficial! This will help me tremendously.
• Everyone who is new to selling should take this seminar.
• Useful and motivational!
• Can’t wait to apply all I learned!
• Alanna is very knowledgeable and enjoyable. Great instructor!
Attendees will receive our Ad Basics notebook, which contains a wealth of information that Alanna has collected over the years.
Cost to attend is $45, which includes a boxed lunch. Participants are asked to send in specific questions for Alanna. You can do this directly on the registration form.
June 20, 2019 | 2-3 p.m.
Webinar: Grant-Writing and Partnerships
Online Media Campus Event
Wondering what you can do to receive newsroom grants or work with ProPublica and other nonprofits on projects? We have tips from people who’ve been successful and those who’ve worked on the receiving end of the process. Steve Dorsey, Vice President of Performance and Partnerships for GateHouse Media, offers tips collected from Florida Times-Union Executive Editor Mary kelli Palka, South Bend Tribune Executive Editor Alan Achkar and Charlie Ornstein, Deputy Managing Editor, ProPublica.
Steve Dorsey was the VP/innovation at the Austin American-Statesman where he worked on product development and project planning. Dorsey came from the Detroit Media Partnership where he was VP for R+D, after working in many roles in the Detroit Free Press newsroom, culminating as the deputy managing editor/presentation. He has held numerous positions within the society for News Design, he was a Lifetime Achievement honoree, past president, co-chair for two annual workshops, competition judge numerous times, longtime board members, and editor of Design Journal. Dorsey was a newsroom leader at the Lexington Herald-Leader, named one of the SND’s World’s Best-Designed in 1998. Before that, he worked at the York Daily Record and the Syracuse Newspapers.
The cost is $35.
July 4, 2019
Happy Fourth of July
Have a safe and happy holiday. SCPA and SCNN Offices closed.
July 25, 2019 | 2-3 p.m.
Webinar: Conquer Your Inbox, Boost Your Sales
Online Media Campus Event
Did you know that 174 work hours per year are LOST by media sales reps who poorly manage their email inbox? Ryan Dohrn, a 25-year media sales veteran, has interviewed over 500 high performing salespeople and will share their best email management advice and techniques in this fun and fast-paced session. If you want to stop being a slave to your email, this is one workshop you will not want to miss! Learn tactical tips, see the email tricks pros use and dig deep on the latest in email management technology that will save you time, effort and energy.
Ryan Dohrn is the host of the #1 iTunes advertising sales podcast Ad Sales Nation and has trained over 6,000 media sales people in seven countries. His 25-year media career spans newspapers, consumer, B2B, traditional, and digital media brands from Disney to PennWell. He is also the founder of Brain Swell Media, an international sales motivational keynote speaker, an Emmy Award winner, best-selling book author, and he still sells media today.
The cost is $35
SCPA Annual Meeting & Awards
You don’t want to miss seeing more than 300 of your friends at the 2020 Annual Meeting and Awards Presentation! The Annual Meeting will feature educational sessions, networking events and more in our jam-packed schedule, plus hundreds of awards to present! All sessions and networking events are free and open to all SCPA members. Tickets are required for meal functions.
Meeting registration, schedule of events and other details coming soon!
Contests & Awards
SCPA recognizes the best in South Carolina journalism through our annual contests. Our prestigious awards programs are open to SCPA members only. Each year, nearly 4,000 entries are received in SCPA’s News, Advertising and Collegiate Contests.
- Our annual News Contest recognizes excellence in daily and weekly newspaper journalism. We also have an Associate and Individual member division, and a Collegiate Contest. Contest rules will be available in October 2019, and the entry platform will accept entries from Oct. 4, 2019 through Dec. 6, 2019. Awards are presented at the SCPA Annual Meeting in March 2020.
- The PALMY Advertising Awards recognize the Palmetto State’s best, brightest and most enterprising advertising professionals and advertisers, and the impact they have made in their communities! Contest rules are available now. The entry platform will accept entries until June 14, 2019. Awards will be presented in person or mailed during the summer.
Other Training Opportunities
- Inland Press Association webinars are programmed for the growth of your organization and career. Inland hosts more than 60 webinars on diverse topics each year. Because SCPA is a co-sponsoring association, SCPA members get a discounted rate of $15 per webinar. View upcoming webinars.
- SCPA members can attend Local Media Association webinars for $29 because our state is a Media Association Partner. Check out LMA’s webinar offerings.
- Poynter’s News University offers more than 100 interactive on-demand journalism courses. Several courses are free thanks to grant funding.