Upcoming Workshops & Events
SCPA Virtual Annual Meeting & Awards
Due to COVID-19, the S.C. Press Association has made the decision to move our in-person conference to a virtual meeting. The Annual Meeting, originally set for March, was rescheduled at the start of the pandemic to Sept. 18-19, in Myrtle Beach. Instead, #SCPRESS20, presented by AT&T, will now be held virtually.
While we’re disappointed we won’t see you at the beach next month, our first priority is the health and safety of our members.
2020 has proven to be a historic year. SCPA has offered an in-person gathering every year since 1852, with the exception of the years during the Civil War and Great Depression.
In July, we surveyed the membership and got lots of great feedback that has helped us plan. We feel confident that we’ve re-imagined our convention into an accessible, engaging experience that you’ll enjoy!
Contests & Awards
SCPA recognizes the best in South Carolina journalism through our annual contests. Our prestigious awards programs are open to SCPA members only. Each year, nearly 4,000 entries are received in SCPA’s News, Advertising and Collegiate Contests.
- Our annual News Contest recognizes excellence in daily and weekly newspaper journalism. We also have an Associate and Individual member division, and a Collegiate Contest. The deadline for the 2019 contest has passed. Awards will be presented at the SCPA Virtual Annual Meeting in mid-September 2020. The 2020 contest will start accepting entries in Oct. 2020. The entry deadline will be Dec. 4, 2020.
- The PALMY Advertising Awards recognize the Palmetto State’s best, brightest and most enterprising advertising professionals and advertisers, and the impact they have made in their communities! The deadline to enter the 2020 PALMY Ad Contest has passed. Awards will be presented at the SCPA Virtual Annual Meeting in mid-September 2020. The 2021 contest will start accepting entries in late spring 2021.
Other Training Opportunities
- SCPA now offers free, individualized virtual training on legal and FOI topics for member newspapers. Learn more.
- SCPA members can attend Local Media Association webinars for $29 because our state is a Media Association Partner. Check out LMA’s webinar offerings.
- Poynter’s News University offers more than 100 interactive on-demand journalism courses. Several courses are free thanks to grant funding.