Upcoming Workshops & Events
Nov. 12 | 11 a.m. - Noon | Zoom
SCPA Diversity Committee Meeting
Diverse voices, backgrounds and experiences make our member news organizations and local news coverage stronger. SCPA has created a standing Diversity Committee to address diversity, equity and inclusion issues, especially related to recruitment and news coverage. Our goal is to provide better training, communication and resources to S.C. journalism organizations. We have an active committee of 20+ members and meet monthly via Zoom. If you’d like to participate or offer your suggestions, please contact Jen Madden.
SCPA Offices Closed
News Contest Entry Deadline
Each member editor should have received an email from SCPA with your newspaper’s log in credentials and a copy of the rules. Reporters and other staffers should get the log-in credentials from their editor.
The deadline to enter is Friday, Dec. 4.
The contest period is from Nov. 16, 2019, to Nov. 15, 2020.
Contact SCPA if you have any questions about the rules or if you have any trouble with the digital entry platform.
S.C. Journalism Hall of Fame Nomination Deadline
Requirements for admission specify that a nominee must have made his or her journalistic reputation in South Carolina. If the reputation reflects achievements outside the state, the nominee must have been a native of South Carolina. Nominees must have been deceased for four or more years.
Nominations may be made by anyone now or previously employed by or associated with a South Carolina newspaper. Nominations not elected are carried over from year to year and considered along with new nominees. Nominations are received and acted upon by a Hall of Fame Selections Committee, appointed by the president of the S.C. Press Association.
Applications should include:
- Nominee’s date of birth and death
- Principal newspaper positions held by nominee
- Major achievements and honors in journalism
- Published works and other honors outside journalism
Nominator should prepare a 300-500 word citation suitable for use if nominee is chosen for the S.C. Press Association Hall of Fame. A photo should be included.
If you’d like to nominate someone for the 2021 Hall of Fame, materials must be submitted to Jen Madden by Dec. 4, 2020.
SCPA Offices Closed
Jan. 1, 2021
SCPA Offices Closed
Happy New Year!
Jan. 7, 2021 | 10-11:30 a.m. | Zoom
Legislative Workshop for the Media
The 2021 Legislative Workshop for the Media will be held via Zoom from 10-11:30 a.m. More details and registration coming soon!
March 5, 2021
SCPA Foundation Internship & Scholarship Application Deadline
The SCPA Foundation’s internship and scholarship applications are now available. Two or more interns are placed each summer at SCPA member newspapers, allowing students an invaluable real-world training experience. We will closely watch the spread of COVID-19 in Spring 2021, but we hope to be able to offer internships during Summer 2021 if it is safe. Our $1,000 scholarship is for the 2021-2022 academic year. The deadline to apply is March 5, 2021. Find out more details and review eligibility requirements.
March 14-20, 2021
Sunshine Week, an annual nationwide celebration of access to public information and what it means for you and your community, will take place March 2021. Please help us promote the public’s right to know.
March 19, 2021 | 3-5 p.m.
Executive Committee Meeting
Currently set as an in-person Board meeting. To be held from 3-5 p.m., at The Marina Inn at Grande Dunes in Myrtle Beach.
March 19-20, 2021
SCPA Annual Meeting & Awards
The Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, Myrtle Beach
Contests & Awards
SCPA recognizes the best in South Carolina journalism through our annual contests. Our prestigious awards programs are open to SCPA members only. Each year, nearly 4,000 entries are received in SCPA’s News, Advertising and Collegiate Contests.
- Our annual News Contest recognizes excellence in daily and weekly newspaper journalism. We also have an Associate and Individual member division, and a Collegiate Contest. The 2020 Contest is now live and accepting entries. The entry deadline is Dec. 4, 2020. Awards will be presented at the SCPA Annual Meeting in March 2021.
- The PALMY Advertising Awards recognize the Palmetto State’s best, brightest and most enterprising advertising professionals and advertisers, and the impact they have made in their communities! The deadline to enter the 2020 PALMY Ad Contest has passed. Awards were presented at the SCPA Virtual Annual Meeting on Sept. 14, 2020. The 2021 contest will start accepting entries in late spring 2021.
Other Training Opportunities
- SCPA now offers free, individualized virtual training on legal and FOI topics for member newspapers. Learn more.
- SCPA members can attend Local Media Association webinars for $29 because our state is a Media Association Partner. Check out LMA’s webinar offerings.
- Poynter’s News University offers more than 100 interactive on-demand journalism courses. Several courses are free thanks to grant funding.